[Mediawiki-l] Trouble setting up Mediawiki

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Fri Dec 3 13:14:37 UTC 2004

On Dec 3, 2004, at 5:05 AM, Rik Serpentier wrote:
> As complete newbie to MediaWiki I have some trouble setting up the
> software on a Apple PB G4, OS X 10.3.6, php 4.3.4 and MySQL 4.1.7

Unless you really know you need it for some reason, I strongly
recommend you use MySQL 4.0.20 instead. 4.1 is *not* fully
backwards-compatible.

For details and possible workarounds see:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Old_client.html

If you must use MySQL 4.1, you can recompile PHP from source and make
sure you compile it against the updated MySQL client libraries (eg,
--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql). You can see what version of the client
libraries are linked in by making a script that looks like this:

   <?php phpinfo() ?>

There will be a section in the output on the mysql module, which will
include a client version number. If this is not 4.1.x, you're going to
have problems with a 4.1.x server. At the top of the output also will
be the configure options you can use to replicate the configuration on
a newly compiled PHP.

If you're not willing to recompile PHP (I recommend doing so anyway as
4.3.4 is a bit old and there are both bug fixes and security fixes in
more recent versions: the current 4.3 version of PHP is 4.3.9) and you
must use MySQL 4.1.x, you can try to set it up in the
backwards-compatible password mode. See details at the link above.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)