[Mediawiki-l] Newbie : full text search

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Fri Dec 3 04:20:23 UTC 2004

On Dec 2, 2004, at 7:26 PM, Plamen Gradinarov wrote:
> From: "Brion Vibber" <brion at pobox.com>
>> If you're already running 4.x, well, take heart. It would be *even
>> worse* on 3.x. ;)
>
> That's a consolation, thank you. :-)
> The machine is running 4.0.22 on RHE3. The present indexing rate is 40
> MB per hour which makes 16 hours for Wiki De, and at least two times
> more for Wiki En.

You might want to see about memory and I/O usage here. If MySQL's
memory usage settings are too low, it may be using the disk
inefficiently; if it's too high, it may be thrashing swap.

> I've heard PHP 5 is much faster than 4, but it makes impossible the
> use of Turck mmcache. On the other hand, Turck is not updated since
> November 2003 and D. Stogov is said to have joined Zend. (?)

Well, Zend's accelerator/optimizer/whatever will probably do as good a
job. Unlike PHP itself these aren't free software (though some of it
may be available gratis, I'm not sure).

I haven't done any direct PHP4 vs PHP5 speed comparisons. I should
probably check sometime, if I can manage to get two separate
installations on the same machine.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)