[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki installation fails communicating to DB even though user has been created with all privileges.

Bart Read bart at aarghsoft.com
Mon Aug 30 17:30:32 UTC 2004

Dear All,

I've just been trying to install MediaWiki on a Windows XP (SP2) box for
development purposes.  Eventually the wiki will be hosted on a Linux
box.  My basic configuration is Apache 2.0.50, PHP 4.3.8, and MySQL 4.1
beta (needed for another project).  After supplying all the
configuration parameters I get the following output:

MediaWiki 1.3.2 installation

Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation problems.
Checking environment...

    * PHP 4.3.8: ok
    * PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty URLs
(index.php/Page_Title)
    * Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
    * PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
    * Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
    * Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be
enabled if you enable uploads.
    * Installation directory: C:\\Apache\\Apache2\\htdocs\\cvc
    * Script URI path: /cvc
    * Warning: $wgProxyKey is insecure Connected as root (automatic)
    * Connected to database... 4.1.3-beta-nt; enabling MySQL 4
enhancementsWarning: $wgProxyKey is insecure
    * Database wikidb exists
    * Creating tables... done.
    * Initializing data...
    * Granting user permissions...
      Sorry! The wiki is experiencing some technical difficulties, and
cannot contact the database server.

I have tried this using the automated AND manual DB / user creation.  I
have created the mysql user as follows:

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'wikiuser'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED
BY 'password' WITH GRANT OPTION;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'wikiuser'@'holly' IDENTIFIED BY
'password' WITH GRANT OPTION;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

...so I would have thought the user should have all the database
privileges it needs.  Does anybody have any idea why I can't get the
installation to work properly?  I've searched the web but to no avail:
lots of people reporting this error message in slightly different
circumstances, but mostly nobody has been able to provide any assistance.

I'd be really grateful if anybody does know why this is happening
because I simply can't make any progress with my project until it is fixed.

Many thanks,
Bart Read