[Mediawiki-l] Incomplete install of 1.3.0... code dies

Bryan Yang preyx at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 16:46:21 UTC 2004

I've tried repeatedly to install a fresh copy of 1.3.0 on my server, but I
get a very strange problem. I enter the appropriate information into the
fields (no SQL root pw), and click "install". Some text shows up, the
browser indicates "Done", but no LocalSettings.php file is generated, and
when using a manually generated LocalSettings.php, I receive a 404 error
upon access of "index.php/MainPage". This problem occurs whether or not I
delete the tables, delete/re-upload the files, etc. I have set CHMOD 777
onto the /config/ directory as instructed.

PHP version: 4.3.8
MySQL version: 4.0.20-standard-log

This is the output of the install webpage:
- PHP 4.3.8: ok
- Warning: PHP's register_globals option is enabled. MediaWiki will work
correctly, but this setting increases your exposure to potential security
vulnerabilities in PHP-based software running on your server. You should
disable it if you are able.
- PHP server API is cgi; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)
- Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
- PHP's memory_limit is 40M. If this is too low, installation may fail!
- Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
- Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled if
you enable uploads.
- Installation directory: /homepages/45/d95239576/htdocs/mwiki
- Script URI path: /mwiki

Upon reading the source code output of the page, the html abruptly cuts off
at the last entry, no </body> or </html> tag. This must indicate some kind
of crash? Checking tables through phpMyAdmin shows that the relevant SQL
tables have been generated.

I don't mind performing a manual install, if it is at all possible with
1.3.0, but I will need some guidance as to what data needs to be loaded.

Thanks for your help
-Bryan