[Mediawiki-l] Access control feature

Tor Bjornrud bjornrud at msu.edu
Thu Aug 12 12:42:34 UTC 2004

On Aug 12, 2004, at 1:20 AM, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> Brion Vibber wrote:
>
>> MediaWiki is *not* designed for sensitive data.
>
> I assume this means it is not a simple thing to engineer into
> MediaWiki then.
>
>> I strongly advise you not to attempt to use MediaWiki for material
>> that you are legally obligated to keep private.
>
> Bummer. And as a lead developer I really should heed you advice ...
>
> I've only found one other wiki that purports to support ACLs but it
> really doesn't look nor seem to be as good (in other respects) to
> MediaWiki.
>
> Argh ... other than for ACL MediaWiki is perfect for our needs.

That said, there's a whitelist scheme here.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/
Setting_user_rights_in_MediaWiki#Configuring_access_restrictions_to_your
_wiki

I found this was hard to maintain if you had more public pages than
private, so I coded up a small patch to do blacklisting.  Apply this
against the latest cvs.

http://brainscat.com/archives/2004/08/10/blacklist-pages-in-mediawiki

It works just like the whitelist feature except that if something is
blacklisted AND whitelisted, the page will act as if it's blacklisted.

Best,
~Tor