[Mediawiki-l] Own Wiki / Customization / UTF-8 / ISO-8859-1

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Aug 10 17:35:37 UTC 2004

Andreas Kotes wrote:
> Main problem: I set the language to german, and the messages are in
> german - but all umlauts (read: special characters) are encoded
> ISO-8859-1; while mediawiki (correctly, in my opinion) thinks and tells
> (via meta http-equiv) we're using UTF-8 - overriding Apache/PHP saying
> we're doing ISO-8859-1 .. a little bit shizophrenic after all.

If you are upgrading an old installation you should probably specify
"Deutsch (Latin-1)" for the language/charset rather than "Deutsch
(Unicode)".

To do this manually after setup, set
$wgUseLatin1 = true; and rebuild the messages.

> - how could I backup _only_ the pages from the database and scrap
>   everything else, so I could start with a freshly generated database?

Use mysqldump to backup anything you want from the database.

> - how can I customize other things? i.e. the menues, the picture, stuff
>   like that ...

Find and edit the appropriate files. Sorry, annoying answer. :)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)