[Mediawiki-l] Nightly Install Problem: Blank white index.php?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Fri Aug 6 16:43:52 UTC 2004

Good day. I'm a new user to MediaWiki.
I'm having problems getting it installed.

  * used today's nightly.

  * install went with no difficulty. the only seeming weirdness was
    that I chose a CreativeCommon license, and when the CC site
    "proceeded" me back to the install page, I had to manually
    choose the CC license radiobox (UI-wise, the existence of
    the form values, or a referrer from CC shoulda checked
    that radiobutton for me automatically).

  * after going through the install, I moved my LocalSettings.php
    into place, and proceeded to loadup the index.php. all I
    received was a blank page (which contained the <html><body>

Things I've looked at and tried:

  * I'm not seeing any PHP errors in my error log (E~ALL) at all.

  * I've confirmed that register_globals is on. In my .htaccess
    file for the /wiki directory, I've got the following:

     <IfModule mod_php4.c>
       php_value register_globals 1
       php_value log_errors 1
     </IfModule>

     <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
       RewriteEngine off
     </IfModule>

    I know .htaccess files work because these are actually overrides
    for a parent .htaccess file I've previously created (which turns
    OFF register globals).

  * My PHP does NOT have iconv compiled (confirmed by looking at the
    compile line in an phpinfo()), and I am not able to recompile it.
    I put the iconv() hack into LocalSettings.php, same blank page,
    then realized that the iconv hack is now in the nightly (includes/
    GlobalFunctions). I am worried, however, about the "might not
    work", but I would have suspected seeing some sort of "function
    iconv not defined" or whatever in my error log.

  * Running "php index.php" from the command line doesn't give me
    much info besides a few warnings (this command was run NOT as
    the web server user, but rather as the root user):

     Undefined index:  SERVER_NAME in DefaultSettings.php on line 22
     Undefined index:  SERVER_PORT in DefaultSettings.php on line 23
     Undefined index:  SERVER_PORT in DefaultSettings.php on line 23
     Undefined index:  REQUEST_METHOD in Setup.php on line 90
     Undefined index:  REQUEST_URI in Setup.php on line 90
     Uninitialized string offset:  0 in Setup.php on line 233

    The only thing this confirms is a) well, it's at least loading
    up Setup.php, and c) the index undefines are caused because
    I'm running from the command line, not the Apache environ.

Any further thoughts on this? I'm not sure where else to explore.

--
Morbus Iff ( You are nothing without your robot car, NOTHING! )
Spidering Hacks: http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596005776/disobeycom