[Mediawiki-l] How does MediaWiki submit edits?

P. Kerim friedman kerim.mail at oxus.net
Wed Aug 4 14:50:08 UTC 2004

> By looking at the list below you certainly take advantage of free
> software,
> I hope you give back.
>
> Simon.

Funny enough one of the purposes of my wiki is to serve as a bridge
between techie-forums like this and tech-phobic social science
academics who don't understand these things, encouraging more people to
use open source software, as well as providing some basic How-Tos that
are easier to understand than the official documentation. You may not
consider that "giving back" since I'm not writing actual code. But that
is my idea of giving back. I'm currently writing an article for
Anthropology News which encourages people to use MediaWiki. I've
negotiated with the publishers to allow me to publish a version of the
article as a wiki on my own site (although they won't let me use the
Creative Commons license on my site). Now, the domain I use is shared
with other people, and we use different servers for e-mail and hosting.
That means I have another domain for hosting, and I use EasyDNS to
forward my domain to my host. I'd prefer to keep all the links within
my homepage, blog, and wiki under the same domain name if possible, and
the ability to specify the root URL in MediaWiki forms would allow me
to do so. If nobody knows how to do that, that's fine, I'll have to
settle for the second-best solution. But please don't tell me I
shouldn't try to do this. Other OS software projects I've used have
been very encouraging of getting everyone to learn and understand the
code and how it works, in the view that while this might seem like
"giving away support for free" in the short-run, in the long run it
will create a stronger community and stronger code.

kerim