[Mediawiki-l] Linux install == blank page

Mike Dickson mdickson at entechnologies.ca
Thu Apr 22 12:54:16 UTC 2004

>On Apr 21, 2004, at 14:04, Mike Dickson wrote:
>> I have run through the install process on my Debian box using the web
>> installer thing, and all I get for my troubles is a blank page...well
>> not entirely blank, it contains the following:

>Does the page actually output that, or is that just what Mozilla shows
>there is *no output at all* from the web server.)

That would explain why the tags dissapear when I put print statements in index.php to try to figure out where it's dying.

>>     * Installation directory: /var/www/internal/wiki
>>
>>     * Script URI path:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ahh, that's interesting.... but seems ok.

>> ...which I dutifully do, resulting the aforementioned blank page.  I'd
>> debug it if I could find *any* info on how to turn on debugging, or
>> where debugging messages go to L  certainly nothing is going in the
>> webserver logs.
>
>You could set $wgDebugLogFile = "/tmp/wikilog"; or such. (Must be
>writable by the web server.)

Where? Index.php?

>> Anyone seen this before?  Is it a database thing?
>
>We've had vague reports which no developer has been able to reproduce,
>and nobody experiencing it has debugged it themselves. :(

I'll do the suggested stuff/  Would it help if I posted the files you mention to the list for examination? Do you have examples of "different page/special page/edit page" in an empty wiki, like the direct URL that I can type in?