[Mediawiki-l] Blankness...

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun Apr 18 00:48:02 UTC 2004

On Apr 17, 2004, at 10:35, Xyanth wrote:
> Now, whenever I try to setup MediaWiki (from scratch), I'll configure
> it with no problems (At least, so it says), but after I run the
> install script from the /config directory and click on the 'Your wiki
> is setup!  Now go on to your wiki' link, it sends me to the index.php
> of the main directory.  But it only gives me a blank page in Internet
> Explorer.  Refreshing doesn't help.  I've tried manually fixing the
> problem but I have no clue what's causing it.  But it happens after
> the 'include_once('Localsettings.php');' is run in the Index.php.

Okay, I've installed MediaWiki 1.2.4 onto my WinXP Professional box,
and it's working fine so far. I'm using Apache 2.0.48, PHP 4.3.4 setup
as CGI, MySQL 4.0.16 on a separate linux box, with a pre-created empty
database[1]. Here's the report from the installer:

MediaWiki 1.2.4 installation
Checking environment...
PHP 4.3.4 ok
PHP server API is cgi-fcgi; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)
Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
Couldn't find GD library or ImageMagick; image thumbnailing disabled.
Installation directory: C:\Program Files\Apache
Group\Apache2\htdocs\mediawiki-1.2.4
Script URI path: /mediawiki-1.2.4
MySQL error 1045: Access denied for user:
'root at verda-majo.leuksman.com' (Using password: NO)
Trying regular user... ok.
Connected to database... 4.0.16; enabling MySQL 4 enhancements
Database winwiki exists
Creating tables... done.
Initializing data...
Created sysop account WikiSysop.
Initialising log pages...
Initialising "MediaWiki" namespace...
Reading....done
Setting up....Done
Processing...Done
Writing...Done
Writing to MediaWiki:All_messages
Finished
Creating LocalSettings.php...

Success! Move the LocalSettings.php file into the parent directory,
then follow this link to your wiki.

[1] To create a database:
mysql -u root -p
mysql> CREATE DATABASE winwiki;