[Mediawiki-l] Problem populating new database

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Fri Apr 9 05:28:10 UTC 2004

On Apr 7, 2004, at 21:11, Paul Hardwick wrote:
> Only had one small but surmountable
> problem. When using IE 5.1.3 Under MacOS 9.0.4 I could not enter the
> name
> for the site. The field was overlaid by the info that should have been
> its right. I switched to Netscape and then no problem.

I'll check this out, thanks for the note.

> Now I am in the process of populating the database and was wondering
> if in
> the maintenance folder (or someplace else) there is a set of script to
> fetch and upload the actual base data content and then the  weekly
> updates. I would like to keep this mirror up to date with the master
> copy.

No, there is no such script. Unfortunately we don't yet have a good
procedure for synchronizing a mirror other than throwing out and
replacing the whole thing every week or so.

Just note, INSTALL THE WIKI FIRST, then load in the data. The dumps
*drop* the existing tables and replace them, and the install doesn't
like to run over a partial set of tables. (Command-line install will
drop any existing tables.)

> The partials have me confused,

First, the bad news. The partials weren't being updated automatically
by the backup process, so what you downloaded was about a month old. If
you want the April 3 backup, you'll have to grab them again. Sorry...
:(

Also, the split files are up to xae now. Compression of old revisions
reduces the raw disk space (& disk cache) needed for the table, but
totally ruins the compression ratio of the downloadable dumps.

> -bash-2.05b$ nice bzip2 -t xaa xab xac xad
> bzip2: xaa: file ends unexpectedly
> bzip2: xab: bad magic number (file not created by bzip2)

That will try to decompress each file in turn, which doesn't work; you
need to concatenate them back into a single stream. The simplest thing
might be to pipe it straight into mysql, assuming you're already set
up:

cat xa? | bzip2 -dc | mysql -u mywikiuser -p mydatabase

Or if you'd like to output a big decompressed SQL file:

cat xa? | bzip2 -dc > old_table_20040403.sql

> -bash-2.05b$ nice mysql -p -uxxxxxxx wikipedia < 20040403_cur_table.sql
> Enter password:
> ERROR 1153 at line 831: Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet'
> -bash-2.05b$========= end of clip
>
> What size should I be setting the 'max_allowed_packet' to?

I think 16MB is the maximum, try that.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)