[Mediawiki-l] C++ parser : progress report

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Tue Oct 21 10:09:54 UTC 2003

My C++ parser is now a working offline browser. This is achieved by
converting a mysql dump of the cur table into an sqlite database once,
then using apache/php as a frontend and a php file calling the compiled
C++ executable, which renders HTML on-the-fly. Browse using your
favourite browser :-)

Why bother with this, if a static HTML version would do the same?
* Proof-of-principle
* sqlite databases can be changed, allowing for edits
* Encapsuled database object, can be easily switched to use mysql or any
other database instead of sqlite for use on a website
* Full-text search (which I'll implement next)

Some things that bug me:
* Is there an easy way to call an executable directly from apache,
without the need for a PHP script in-between?
* Is there a no-setup-needed web browser? Some .exe that I can start on
a windows machine, then fire up the web browser, and view/edit my local
wikipedia copy?

Magnus