[Mediawiki-l] Status of documentation

Agon S. Buchholz asb at kefk.net
Thu Nov 20 16:18:58 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'd like to know who is *currently* working on the documentation for
MediaWiki, and where the intended central place for this is, if there's
na. If there's need, I'd like to volunteer to help out, if I can.

I think, the intended starting point is
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User's_Guide, but I found lots
of relevant information scattered around somewhere else on the web (e.g.
about importing database dumps), in the installation archives, and on
Wikitech-L, which is not accessible (meaning linked) from the User's Guide.

Also, I found some information missing at all, e.g. "To update from one
version of MediaWiki to another" just says "do these steps...", or the
section about properly configuring the Rewrite Engine in Apache httpd in
somehow short ;)

Last but not least, I think the naming "User's Guide" might be somehow
confusing; to me, this suggests a manual directed primarily towards the
(end) *user* of a running MediaWiki installation, giving help how to
*use* the Wiki (e.g. conventions on how to edit, how to link, etc.).

IMHO, it'd be more clear if the documentation would start on
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docs or
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentation; this would spread into
four sections, targeted at different persons: (1) General Information
and Overview (e.g. What is it? How does it work? Who's using it?
Architecture, etc.), (2) Installation and Administration Guide (current
sections "Installation" and "Configuration" [missing]), (3) User's Guide
(current section "Using MediaWiki"), and (4) Developer's Guide (maybe
current
"http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_become_a_MediaWiki_hacker", but
mostly missing atm).

Greetings,