[Mediawiki-l] Image interpolation Wiki markup

Evan Prodromou evan at wikitravel.org
Wed Nov 5 17:09:28 UTC 2003

So, the main reason I'm writing to this list because I want to see if
it's a discussion list or just for announcements. I think Brion said
it should be used for discussion of the MediaWiki software, not
wikitech-l.

But, to make this post something better than just the word "test", I
figure I should ask a question. Here goes:

It seems on Wikipedia that there are really only a few idioms that are
mainly used for adding images: left-float, right-float, centered, and
interpolated into text. Considering that these are all done with some
hairy HTML markup, I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense to add some
Wiki markup for these standard items.

Has anyone done proposals for doing this? Something like, I dunno:

[[Image:left:name_of_image|alt text|caption]]
[[Image:right:name_of_image|alt text|caption]]
[[Image:center:name_of_image|alt text|caption]]
[[Image:name_of_image|alt text|caption]]

...where the alt text and caption are optional?

I haven't taken much of a look at the Wiki markup rendering stuff, but
I figure that whatever renders [[Image:]] links right now could
probably be altered to handle syntax like the above.

Any ideas? Different syntax? I might start whacking on this, and
submit a patch.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan at wikitravel.org>