[Mediawiki-l] Wiki Farm for MediaWiki

Paul Studier studier at paulstudier.com
Fri Dec 19 00:25:48 UTC 2003

>Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 00:34:30 -0600
>From: Doug Holton <d.holton at vanderbilt.edu>
>Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wiki Farm for MediaWiki
>To: mediawiki-l at Wikimedia.org
>
>There is a 4th option though besides shared hosting, dedicated hosting,
>and using your DSL line.  You can run your own "virtual" linux box for
>around $20/month using User-Mode Linux (UML), but you'd need to know or
>learn about linux system administration.  See this page:
>http://holton.ltc.vanderbilt.edu/wiki/UserModeLinux
>I'm using UML hosting to move my wiki and set up other wikis too.  I'm
>hoping to switch to the MediaWiki engine if the memory & processor
>requirements aren't too steep.
>
>-Doug

Thank you for this information.  My problems are that my web host restricts
MySQL so the users scrip can not grant the permissions.  I also have
problems which appear to be caused by my inability to log on as
root.  Finally, and most of all, I am quite ignorant about Linux, MySQL,
PHP, etc.

Therefore I bought a computer so I can experiment and educate myself on
Linux, etc.  Once I am halfway competent, I will look for a host.

Paul Studier <Studier at PaulStudier.com>
When you work, you create.  When you win, you just take from the loser.
For an explanation, see http://paulstudier.com/win