[Mediawiki-l] Wiki Farm for MediaWiki

Paul Studier studier at paulstudier.com
Tue Dec 9 17:12:07 UTC 2003

At 04:00 AM 12/9/2003, you wrote:

>From: Fabrice Philibert-Caillat <fphilibert at realink.org>
>Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wiki Farm for MediaWiki
>To: MediaWiki announcements and site admin list
>         <mediawiki-l at Wikimedia.org>
>
>Paul Studier wrote:
>
> > I am trying to set up a special purpose wiki where only members of a
> > special interest group can edit. I really like the MediaWiki that
> > Wikipedia uses, and Wikipedia is an excellent example to show people
> > how a Wiki works. Does anyone know of a Wiki Farm that uses mediaWiki?
> >
>I am not sure about what a "wiki farm" is: perhaps could you explain it?
>Nevertheless, C-Arbre (a GPLed project on which I am working with a
>friend) uses the Media Wiki engine for handling wiki (although still in
>a crude way) : http://www.freshmeat.net/projects/c-arbre/
>It also adds permissions and ownership to the wiki pages, so that only
>people of a given group can edit the pages.

A wiki farm is a host for many wiki's.  Sometimes they are commercial and
charge a fee.  An example is http://www.editme.com/.  I am looking for one
that hosts MediaWiki based Wikis.

I have a shared hosting website and have been unable to install MediaWiki on
it.  I probably could install it on a dedicated host, but that would cost
$200/mo.  Or I could buy a Linux based computer and use my DSL line.  This
would be slow, and I could not provide 24/7 support to make sure the system
stayed up.

Paul Studier <Studier at PaulStudier.com>
When you work, you create.  When you win, you just take from the loser.
For an explanation, see http://paulstudier.com/win