[Mediawiki-api] GET vs POST

Jani Patokallio jpatokal at iki.fi
Thu Sep 29 12:54:41 UTC 2011

Greetings,

I seem to recall that once upon a time the API requires all requests to
be POST, but apparently GET is now allowed as well, and preferred for
cachability.  The API:Quick start page links to
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:FAQ#GET_or_POST.3F, but apparently
this link is broken and (as far as I can tell?) has never existed in the
history.  So two questions:

1) When was the change made, or has it been this way all along?
2) Is there are list of which operations require POST?  Browsing through
the docs, at least login and edit seem to, but is there a consolidated
list?  The Perl MediaWiki::API module suggests that GET is allowed only
for query, logout, purge, and paraminfo.

Cheers,
-jani