[Mediawiki-api] How can I get the image author (for attribution) via the API

shafqat shafqat at newscred.com
Thu Jul 2 16:06:01 UTC 2009

I have spent a lot of time in the forum and now have a working query that
gets me all the information I need (a list of images plus other info).
However, I need to also get the image author so that I can have the proper
attribution. Have tried everything but cannot get that piece of data. Am I
missing something?

This is the query that I am using to get the images:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&generator=images&prop=images|imageinfo&gimlimit=50&iiprop=url|size|comment&format=xml&iiurlwidth=240&titles=Barack%20Obama

As an example, for this file
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BarackObama2005portrait.jpg, I would
want to get back the text "United States Senate", which is listed right next
to the Author field.

Thanks a lot!