[Mediawiki-api] parse output

Roan Kattouw roan.kattouw at home.nl
Tue Feb 24 18:07:00 UTC 2009

Michael Dale schreef:
> *snip*
>> Yes, it's been filed before and WONTFIXed because parsing dozens or
>> hundreds of pages in one request is kind of scary performance-wise
>
> but clearly it would be more resource efficient than issuing 30 separate
> additional requests... maybe we could enable it with a low row return
> count say 30 ?
For queries that's true, but for stuff like parsing there wouldn't be
much of a difference in performance.

> It should be able to grab the output from the parse cache
> no?

It does that already, *if* the page you're parsing is in the parser cache.

> With my use case of returning search result descriptions...it does not
> really need html it just needs striped wikitext or even a striped
> segment of wikitext.

You'd be way better off stripping wikitext yourself then. Shouldn't be
too hard.

> * Maybe we could support the output striped wikitext (really what we
> want for search results) ...
>
> It appears Lucene and the internal mysql store the index in striped form
> if we could add access to that from the api that would be ideal way
> forward I think.

That'd be good, yes. I'll look into this.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)