[Mediawiki-api] Single URL watchlist feed, FAQ/docs, and editing pages

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 02:20:59 UTC 2007

Is there a FAQ or more docs on MediaWiki's API? The info I found:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php

seems minimal? My questions:

% I use snownews and need a single URL to see my watchlist on my
favorite MediaWiki, but this fails w/ an "internal server error":

http://wiki.lspace.org/api.php?action=login&lgname=kellyterryjones&lgpassword=thisisnotreallymypassword&action=feedwatchlist

I can get to my watchlist using:

curl -c cookies.txt -O
'http://wiki.lspace.org/api.php?action=login&lgname=kellyterryjones&lgpassword=stillnotmypassword

curl -b cookies.txt -O 'http://wiki.lspace.org/api.php?action=feedwatchlist'

but it's a two-step process, and that won't work w/ snownews.

% Can I edit pages w/ the MediaWiki API or is it for queries only?

% Is /query.php dead on newer Wikis? These URLs gives me 404 errors:

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/query.php?what=allpages
http://wiki.lspace.org/query.php?what=allpages

even though the equivalent works on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/query.php?what=allpages

% How do I convice a MediaWiki that I'm a bot (and thus increase my aplimit)?