[Maps-l] Tile expiry, a new attempt

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 12:39:35 UTC 2012

On 01/02/2012 01:57 PM, Tim Alder wrote:
> Hello,
> please have in mind that we take the osm-labels-lang styles in
> wikipedia only for zoom 0-6. For the more interesting zoom-levels we
> take only default style for performance reasons. The only exeption is
> the small hsb.wp ("Obersorbisch").

If the language labels are only used for zoom 0-6, then there is not
much point in expiring them at z15 - 18. I might as well disable expiry
and move over to a background re-render for everything but the default
style.

As zoom 0 - 10 tiles can take many minutes per tile, those zoom levels
would always be redered in the background anyway.

So far the server seems to be able to cope reasonably well with expiry
of z15 - z18. I will start expanding expiry further to try and get up to
expiring z11, which is the lowest zoom that is shown by default in
wikipedia.

> People from ru.wp ask me to support russian but I did affraid that it
> will be too much load for us. But now is russian map so popular that
> it is perhaps usefull, we should use pre-rendering for it.

We should probably test it to see how it goes.
Who would be the people on the russian wikipedia to talk to, to see what
they need? Also, should any changes take effect, who can tel us if
everything is working out and if the changes are positively received?

Kai