[Maps-l] introduction: the new osm database

Colin Marquardt cmarqu42 at googlemail.com
Fri May 14 12:12:17 UTC 2010

2010/5/14 Peter Körner <osm-lists at mazdermind.de>:
> Colin Marquardt schrieb:
>> I have now switched the live lighting.xml file to use hstore, yay. The
>
> What makes me wonder is, that the server seems to deny rendering some
> tiles, eg.
>
> http://toolserver.org/tiles/lighting/3/4/3.png or
> http://toolserver.org/tiles/lighting/4/7/5.png
>
> while
> http://toolserver.org/tiles/lighting/4/8/5.png
>
> gets rendered. I requested those tiles days ago but they're not there
> yet. mod_tile did not even create the directory /osm/tiles/lighting/3 so
> I guess there's sth. going wrong.

Well, at this zoom, I could imagine that something times out before a
tile can be rendered if there is much data to be pulled. 4/8/5.png
maybe just made it. OTOH, I also saw very different tile rendering
times even for zooms 14 and 15, some were rendered almost instantly,
while others took in the order of 30 mins. I didn't see a common
pattern there yet, for instance a boundary or relation with many
members to be drawn on the slow tiles.

I will add this !bbox! thing from http://trac.mapnik.org/ticket/415 at
some point, maybe that makes a difference.

Cheers
  Colin