[Maps-l] rendering own style

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Wed Jun 16 20:29:18 UTC 2010

Am 16.06.2010 21:33, schrieb Tim Alder:
> Peter Körner schrieb:
>>> Is there a specific reason why it's so difficult to get a custom
>>> rendering besides the scripts needed not existing?
>> It's that simple: we're no style hoster.
>
> STOP. I can't see a different between the existing surveillance layer and the smoking layer.

Okay, I'm sorry I brought up this discussion the way I did. the
surveillance overlay was created as part of a tutorial on how to use the
hstore column but of course you're right, there is no real difference.

> I see only two problems:
> *I think the maps on toolserver should be political neutral. (green, yellow, red is it not.)
Stephan, could you think of another type of symbolizing this, maybe
using some icon like [1].

> *The surveillance layer is relative stable. To compare the smoking layer will have a rapid change at beginning. So I have no idea to
> run efficient tile caching or so.
I see this problem explicitly as we don't have a tile expireing strategy
atm. I think we should give it a try and see how it runs.

Stephan, could you please put the style on your TS home-dir and post a
link or send the style here otherwise.

Just as an idea, you could also just place a database-query script in a
programming language you like on the TS and use this to serve your
vector map. The vector map would not suffer from any caching or expiring
problems nor from any neutrality problems.
PS. i just saw that you're already do this. @Tim would it be ok hosting
the vector layer on TS as it's done already [2]?

Peter

[1] <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:D-P001_Rauchen_verboten.svg>
[2]
<http://toolserver.org/~stephankn/?zoom=7&lat=49.0436&lon=11.32592&layers=BTF>