[Maps-l] rendering own style

Tim Alder tim.alder at s2002.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Jun 14 21:06:38 UTC 2010

Peter Körner schrieb:
> Stephan Knauss schrieb:
>> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksbegehren_%E2%80%9EF%C3%BCr_echten_Nichtraucherschutz!%E2%80%9C
>>
>> Currently I'm using an overlay that can not be minutely updated. I would
>> like to switch that to toolserver.
> I don't think it's necessary to use a tileserver for this style. You
> could use the minutely updated postgis database to serve an openlayers
> vector layer. The toolserver offers everything you need to do this:

A vector layer without a system to reduce the number of elements at lower zoom levels
is often a way to kill the browser of the user. That's not good.
On the other side make a tile cache for higher zoom level no sense, because there will be a rapid change in the dataset if the
project take off. So perhaps a hybrid system is perhaps the best way or running the layer with a limit as vector layer.

I see no reason to use a special local bavaria dataset for this layer, we should have everything fast enough in our database.

Greetings Kolossos