[Licom-l] Removing GFDL 1.2-only images from wikipedia articles

Ryan Kaldari kaldari at gmail.com
Fri May 22 17:05:02 UTC 2009

Once our licensing terms are updated to allow dual-license reuse (with
cc-by-sa being the default), will we need to remove GFDL 1.2-only
images from Wikipedia articles? Since GFDL 1.2 is a strong copyleft
license and it seems reasonable to consider a single Wikipedia article
to be a "combined work" or "collection" rather than an "aggregation of
independent works", GFDL 1.2 is thus incompatible with cc-by-sa, and
you cannot dual-license such an article. I do notice that we try to
work around this dilemma by only defining the licensing for the
article text (rather than the article as a whole), but this seems to
ignore the fact that an article (including images) is a distinct
creative work which is generally consumed and reproduced as a whole.
Thoughts?

Ryan Kaldari