[Licom-l] June 15 and beyond

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 06:19:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Erik Moeller<erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
<snip>

> * I assume that Huib is taking the lead to update the GFDL template
> for media files consistent with Robert's recent post.

Actually, I've just finished working up a template and category scheme
for Commons that will hopefully make the migration relatively easy to
track and manage.  I'd appreciate it if Huib / Kaldari etc., would
look it over and make sure it makes sense, conforms to Commons
expectations etc.  See post at [[Commons:License Migration Task
Force]].  A version of this could probably be used as a model for the
other large wikis with piles of GFDL content where tracking the update
is likely to be a huge enough problem to need a good process.

The baseline expectation for Commons is that as of June 15th every
relevant GFDL tagged image will add a template saying that it could be
usable under CC-BY-SA-3.0 if it meets the applicable criteria (with
link to a page describing that).  So reusers willing to make those
determinations for themselves would immediately have access.

Most of the rest of the discussion about categories and bots and
what-not focuses on how to begin the work of making those criteria
determinations so that the 1.7 million GFDL media files can be
definitely retagged as appropriate.

> * We'll give the go-ahead for a translation process based on the
> English reference terms (I haven't officially finalized them in case I
> get valuable feedback between now and Monday).

I've yet to look through them actually, but I hope to find time to
give feedback Saturday.

> * Ariel has worked on a proposal for a site-wide roll-out process.
> We'll consult on this next week and get the implementation in motion
> alongside the translation process.
>
> I assume we'll only give a few days for translation before we start
> rolling out whatever we have by then, and then let folks add
> additional translations gradually. This will at least give the most
> active wikis a chance to get a proper translation up there before we
> roll out the terms.

My understanding is that there is a very long lag between the time
that interface message translations are entered into translatewiki.net
and the time they appear as site defaults.  People can work around
this editing the local Mediawiki: space, which updates immediately,
but it means that a translation created by X wikipedia is not
immediately available to the other wiki projects in the same language,
etc.  That is obviously suboptimal.  I know there has been some
discussion among developers about this issue generally, but perhaps
Ariel could look into helping to sync these messages more rapidly.