[Licom-l] Problem on it.wikipedia

Marco 27 marco27.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 20:59:47 UTC 2009

On Italian Wikipedia we have a problem that may compromise part of the
license update process. We have
{{GFDL-con-disclaimer<http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:GFDL-con-disclaimer>}}
and {{GFDL-Utente-con-disclaimer<http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:GFDL-Utente-con-disclaimer>}}
(on Wikimedia Commons:
{{GFDL-it<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:GFDL-it>}}).
During the license update process we have noticed that on 2004, with this
good faith edit<http://it.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template%3AGFDL&diff=179779&oldid=177213>,
a user removed part of text to make template shorter. Unfortunately, the
removed part of text is "*senza alcuna sezione non modificabile, nessun
testo di copertina, nessun testo di retro copertina*" ("with no Invariant
Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts"). Now there arises
a doubt: can we relicense files licensed under this copyright tag? Or the
absence of that part of text prevents relicensing? About this, we see that
in the GFDL license
document<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:GNU_Free_Documentation_License>,
in the section entitled "1. APPLICABILITY AND DEFINITIONS", there this key
passage: *The Document may contain zero Invariant Sections. If the Document
does not identify any Invariant Sections then there are none.* (and this
should be applicable also for cover texts: their presence must be explicit).
So, we think that relicensing is possible. Thanks in advance.

--
Marco 27 (http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:Marco_27)