[Licom-l] License transition vote setup

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 15:13:52 UTC 2009

Michael,

I was doing some editing on the wiki yesterday evening and noticed
intermittent problems on a number of occasions.  Typically I would
observe that the page I was looking at loaded okay but one or more
ancillary items (e.g. toolbar icons, stylesheets, etc.) would not show
up.  This was especially noticeable at times when the main stylesheet
seemed to not load so my browser displayed an unformatted page.  (Has
anyone else witnessed this behavior?)

If I am seeing some problems all by myself, I am concerned what might
happen when we let the rampaging hordes of Wikipedians loose.

I am wondering if you might check your server logs for error messages
that might explain intermittent failures of content to load.

Since all of the wiki's content is being run though SSL, is it
possible that the extra overhead associated with all of Mediawiki's
CSS, JS, and other calls is overtaxing things?  Even given Mediawiki
propensity to call up lots of supplemental pages it doesn't seem
reasonable that a single editor could be bad enough to cause dropped
connections.

Or perhaps Tim may have some ideas for what can cause requests to
occasionally fail on an otherwise clean install.

Unfortunately since the problem was intermittent (and often fixed by
hitting reload) I don't really have any direct way to demonstrate it.

-Robert Rohde