[libraries] What can we do to help take out the proprietary journal system?

Andrea Zanni zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 07:49:50 UTC 2011

[sorry for cross-posting, on foundation-l we are discussing about Open
Access
in the "Black Market Science" thread, I wanted to share my reply also here]

2011/7/19 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>

> So. What can we do to help take out the proprietary journal system?

1. Openly support the OA movement, partecipating in conferences, making
public statements, addressing the issue to the community. We discuss with
them on the "interoperability" of the our movements, as to say we tell them
using clear licenses (CC-BY) is *fundamental*.
2. Discuss about a technical framework for publicize OA papers in Wikipedia.

Couldn't we harvest OA articles from institutional and subject repositories,
and even from OA journals, covering both green and Gold Open access?
Couldn't we show dynamic lists of OA articles in the Reference sections of
our Wikipedia articles, generated by keyword and language? All OA articles
have these metadata in Dublin Core, it would be easy to filter them and
create those dynamic lists.

(I'm not sure about a Wikipedia policy on "preferring" OA sources, it could
conflict something else)

We could even bulk upload every article we find that is in CC-BY on Commons,
to store it there (and when we find a solution for uploading them on
Wikisource, we should do it too)(yes, we should need a metadata/OAI-PMH
framework for us, but I don't think is such a big deal).

(these are just ideas, feel free to dump them :-)

Aubrey