[Labs-l] [Toolforge] /usr/bin/sql updated for connecting to new Wiki Replica clusters

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 28 00:05:45 UTC 2017

A new version of the /usr/bin/sql helper script has been deployed
today. This version of the script adds an optional "--cluster
{analytics,web,labsdb}" cli argument that you can use to choose
between the various Wiki Replica servers. The default is the
equivalent of "--cluster labsdb" which connects you to the old servers
with no changes.

If you are not using /usr/bin/sql to query user created tables on
c1.labsdb or c3.labsdb, try "sql --cluster analytics DATABASE". This
will become the default when the old database cluster is retired in a
few months.

Not sure what this is all about? Read the blog post on the new Wiki
Replica servers:
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/70/new_wiki_replica_servers_ready_for_use/>

Magnus gave the new servers this glowing review [0]:
> Hooray! I have switched most of my tools over, taking care to put
> long-running queries (including PetScan queries) on the analytics
> server. Initial tests see a ~5x improvement in query time!

[0]: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/labs-l/2017-September/005077.html

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]] Manager, Cloud Services          Boise, ID USA