[Labs-l] Labs Documentation Day on May 12th!

Yetkin Sakal superyetkin at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 18:11:32 UTC 2017

Hello,
Thanks for bringing this up. Hay's Directory looks like a perfect place to discover new tools.
Happy Documentation Day to all!

    On Friday, May 5, 2017 4:07 AM, Bryan Davis <bd808 at wikimedia.org> wrote:

 Some of you may have seen the announcement of a MediaWiki
Documentation Day on 2017-04-12 by Ryan Kaldari on the wikitech-l
list. If not I'm including the message as a forward here as well.

I'd like to both promote and hijack this event for Labs and Tool Labs
audiences. In the last two Tool Labs user surveys, documentation and
particularly tutorial content has gotten a lot of mentions. I'll be
spending as much time as I can on 2017-04-12 fixing up and creating
docs on wikitech. I'd like to invite all of you to join in as well.

Here are some ideas of things that people could do to contribute to
making Wikimedia's technical docs better:
* Create a phabricator task tagged with #Documentation and #Labs or
#Tool-Labs asking for specific docs you wish somebody would write.
* Look at the list of requested docs
(<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/lRIvFBgB3Zqd/>)
and see if you can help write them.
* Document the tools that you maintain on wikitech by creating a page
in the Tool namespace
(<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Tool_Labs_tools>).
* Add your tools to Hay's directory
(<https://tools.wmflabs.org/hay/directory/#addtool>).
* Contribute docs on mediawiki.org on using your favorite Action API
actions (<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Main_page>).
* Update the documentation on finding Documentation
(<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Documentation>) to include other
places that you know have useful docs.

Wikimedia is also working towards creation of a documentation special
interest group (<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T156301>). The
first step in that process is to actually define what a SIG means for
Wikimedia. If you are interested in project governance or have good or
bad experiences working in SIGs in other organizations (or
WikiProjects) your input in that process would be welcome
(<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T164551>).

Bryan