[Labs-l] new puppetmaster version on Labs

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 26 16:11:02 UTC 2016

This email is purely informational and doesn't require any action on
your part :)

Operations has recently upgraded our production puppetmaster to version
3.8.5.  In order to keep things in sync, I'm doing the following:

- (done) Upgrading the general Labs puppetmaster to 3.8.5

- (done) Updating the official puppetmaster (and client) packages in our
repo to 3.8.5.  That means that any newly created puppetmasters will get
those packages by default.

- (doing) Actively upgrading all existing in-labs Trusty puppetmasters
(using role::puppet::self or puppetmaster::standalone) to 3.8.5.
(Jessie puppetmasters should all be running the latest version already.)

That last change will result in two changes in puppet behavior on local
puppetmasters:

1) Puppet runs may throw a deprecation warning, "Warning: Setting
templatedir is deprecated."  That can be safely ignored until we
rearrange the puppet repo to resolve it.

2) Puppet runs may include one additional action,
"Puppetmaster::Passenger/Service[puppetmaster]/ensure: ensure changed
'running' to 'stopped'"  This is dumb, and caused by a bug in the
puppetmaster packages, but may also be safely ignored.

If you encounter any bad behavior apart from those last two items,
please let me know!  In general, though, I expect this change to have no
significant effect on anyone.

-Andrew