[Labs-l] [Labs-announce] [notice] DB replicas user_properties view redaction

Chase Pettet cpettet at wikimedia.org
Tue Nov 29 16:17:36 UTC 2016

Hey Marc (how's it going?)

Bugzilla 58196 became https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T60196

Thanks for calling that out, I didn't know some of the backstory.

Members of the Security team made the call on removal and I will let them
speak for themselves on rationale. At the moment, the task for this is
protected by policy  (due to the mentioned privacy concerns)
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T150679 but I believe you are able to
access it to engage with questions.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Marc-Andre <marc at uberbox.org> wrote:

> Hey Chase,
>
> On 2016-11-28 03:02 PM, Chase Pettet wrote:
>
> On review, these properties have been deemed sensitive by our security
> folks:
>
> user_properties: language, skin, timecorrection, varient
>

> Perhaps "our security folk" should make up their mind?
>
> That list was specifically approved by legal as okay.  See
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T66115 and the (long, involved) prior
> discussion leading to it at bz 58196 (did we keep an archive of those)?
>
> -- Coren / Marc

Chase Pettet
Engineering Manager -- Labs
chasemp on phabricator <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/chasemp/> and