[Labs-l] Commands are so slow in Labs

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Sun Nov 6 20:05:40 UTC 2016

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Martin Urbanec
<martin.urbanec at wikimedia.cz> wrote:
> As Bryan wrote: "Webservices running with the kubernetes backend" and
> the´page title begins with Help:Tool labs/Web, probably yes, you won't
> benefit from it.
>
> Martin
>
> ne 6. 11. 2016 v 19:21 odesílatel Huji Lee <huji.huji at gmail.com> napsal:
>>
>> What does "webservice" refer to here? My labs projects are not serving the
>> web (they are mostly bots); would that mean I won't benefit from k8s?

It is possible to run things other than webservices on Kubernetes, but
we have not documented the process for doing this yet. If a tool
maintainer wants to start learning how to use Kubernetes I can try to
provide some help, but currently we don't have the human time
resources to make running arbitrary jobs on Kubernetes a simple as
using jsub. My Stashbot tool is running a python irc bot as a
Kubernetes pod and could be used as an example [0][1]. The upstream
documentation is fairly readable and very comprehensive.

The long term plan for wider Kubernetes use is to select a Platform as
a Service (PaaS) product [2]. One of my goals for the October-December
quarter is to work on collecting a set of evaluation criteria that we
can use to evaluate existing PaaS products [3]. I would love to have
help in doing that.

[0]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/diffusion/1962/browse/master/bin/stashbot.sh
[1]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/diffusion/1962/browse/master/etc/deployment.yaml
[2]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T136264
[3]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T136265

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA