[Labs-l] [Labs-announce] (re)Introducing Horizon

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at signpuddle.net
Thu Mar 31 15:48:35 UTC 2016

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the news and FAQ.

When I first logged into horizon, I was shown 5 instances that were not
mine.

Question: Why can't I see my instances?

Answer: The project is defaulted to "bastion".  You will need to select
your desired project.  You can either use the top header project
drop-down, or use the the left-hand menu, Identity >> Projects, and then
clicked the "Set as Active Project" button.

Regards,
-Steve

On 3/31/16 9:43 AM, Andrew Bogott wrote:
> Yesterday afternoon we completed the last major blockers for adoption
> of https://horizon.wikimedia.org as the primary Labs VM-administration
> tool.  Starting today, Horizon should  be your tool of choice for:
>
>  * Creation, deletion, starting, stopping of labs instances
>  * Management of instance firewalls (aka 'security groups')
>  * Creation and assignment of web proxies for Labs instances
>  * Assignment of floating IPs to labs instances
>  * Manipulation of DNS records associated with floating IPs
>
>     Some of those workflows have already been removed from the
> Wikitech interface; others will be removed in a few weeks after
> they've had some time to settle in.  In any case, I encourage all labs
> project admins to enable 2fa today, and start using Horizon for your
> day-to-day labs management.  Accounts will continue to be managed on
> Wikitech, and credentials are shared between Wikitech and Horizon
>
>     Here is a FAQ, in progress, about the transition to Horizon and
> changes in what we can and can't do with the new interface:
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Horizon_FAQ.  Don't hesitate
> to write to me with your questions so I can populate that document
> with actual questions rather than imagined ones.
>
>     In addition to being generally prettier and more feature-rich,
> Horizon should be somewhat easier to maintain and fix than the
> existing OpenStackManager code running on Wikitech.  Additionally,
> Horizon is actively maintained by a team of full-time OpenStack
> developers, so we'll get periodic updates and improvements from them
> with a minimum of work on our part.  That said, Horizon is a newish
> tool, and our use case differs from the default OpenStack case, so
> there will definitely be weird and unexpected behaviors. Please let me
> know about these as soon as you find them so I can fix things or file
> issues with the upstream developers.
>
>     Many thanks to Chris Steipp for writing our 2fa backend, and to
> Alex Monk for jumping in at the last minute and building the proxy
> dashboard that would otherwise have delayed this project by several
> weeks.
>
> -Andrew

∼Steve