[Labs-l] Labs privacy policy questions

Zhou Zhou zzhou at wikimedia.org
Tue Mar 15 20:29:53 UTC 2016

Hi Pine,

Thank you for bringing this up.

By interstitial, I assume you are referring to the privacy policy blurb
that appears here <https://metrics.wmflabs.org/policy> (and also as noted
on the Labs TOU).

The interstitial is there to provide notice to end users of WMF Labs
projects that the projects are (usually) not developed and controlled by
WMF but by individual members of our community. As such, the disclaimer
warns users that the standard WMF TOU/privacy policy are no longer
applicable and empowers users to make educated decision about how others
might use their data.

Having said that, I understand there might be concerns on the way we
present this issue to the end user in the interstitial. We will look into
how we can better direct lab developers to draft a clearer privacy policy.
If you have specific suggestions in clarifications you would like to see,
please send them my way. We will also look into incorporating into the next
draft of the Labs TOU your point about real-world consequences for misuse
of data.

With respect to Wikimetrics, we also plan on modifying its privacy policy
to address your concerns and clarify on how the data is being used instead
of relying on the standard interstitial.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Zhou

--

Zhou Zhou
Legal Counsel
zzhou at wikimedia.org

NOTICE: This message might have confidential or legally privileged
information in it. If you have received this message by accident, please
delete it and let us know about the mistake. As an attorney for the
Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical reasons I cannot give legal advice
to, or serve as a lawyer for, community members, volunteers, or staff
members in their personal capacity. For more on what this means, please see
our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.