[Labs-l] Labs privacy policy questions

Pine W wiki.pine at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 03:54:39 UTC 2016

The Wikimetrics login screen [1] presents me with this information:

"By using this project, you agree that any private information you give to
this project may be made publicly available and not be treated as
confidential.

"By using this project, you agree that the volunteer administrators of this
project will have access to any data you submit. This can include your IP
address, your username/password combination for accounts created in Labs
services, and any other information that you send. The volunteer
administrators of this project are bound by the Wikimedia Labs Terms of
Use, and are not allowed to share this information or use it in any
non-approved way.

"Since access to this information is fundamental to the operation of
Wikimedia Labs, these terms regarding use of your data expressly override
the Wikimedia Foundation's Privacy Policy as it relates to the use and
access of your personal information."
I have two questions to start.

1. Why would my IP, password, or other "private information" that I give to
Labs ever "be made publicly available and not treated as confidential"?

2. Why would Labs volunteer administrators ever have access to my password?
To the best of my knowledge, even WMF staff never have access to plaintext
passwords of anyone but themselves unless someone chooses to disclose their
password on a one-time basis.

Thanks,

Pine

[1]