[Labs-l] labmon1001 downtime scheduled for 2016-06-23 from 15:00 GMT to 23:00 GMT

Rob Halsell rhalsell at wikimedia.org
Wed Jun 22 15:26:30 UTC 2016

Labs users,

As many of you may recall, (mostly) Yuvi and (slightly) myself worked on
labmon1001 a couple of weeks back.  Unfortunately, the work performed
wasn't enough (as it still left the host with spinning disks) and the
graphite service hammering them bogs down the server.  As a solution, we
will be reinstalling the system on 2016-06-23 from 15:00 GMT to 23:00 GMT.
I don't expect to use the majority of this window, since much of the data
was migrated backup previously.  However, it is a possibility if we have to
re-sync all the data (without differential).

Details of this work can be viewed on
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T137924.

Once the SSDs are installed, their ability to handle the iops generated
from graphite is expected to bring load levels on labmon1001 down to sane
levels.

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns.  They can be
raised via this email thread, or by comment on the linked phabricator task.

Thanks,

--
Rob Halsell
Operations Engineer
E-Mail: rhalsell at wikimedia.org
Key fingerprint = CB1F C7E7 0FF8 5DB2 6820  9C7E 75ED 14C7
*0245 D22A*Office: 415.839.6885 x6620
Fax: 415.882.0495