[Labs-l] Permissions issue

Huji Lee huji.huji at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 14:59:19 UTC 2016

Hi,

My account on WMFLabs servers is huji and it is in tools.huji group. I have
a file under a subdirectory of /data/project/huji/ which is stuck in the
ownership of huji:tools.huji and has chmod 770:

[image: Inline image 1]

When I run *chown tools.huji:tools.huji stats.py* while I am logged in as
huji, it gives me a permissions error. When I do "become huji" and then run
the same chown command as huji.tools, I get the exact same error.

When I try *sudo chown tools.huji:tools.huji file* as either huji or
tools.huji, I get asked a password. I don't think my account is a sudoer.

Can someone please help me correct this situation? (As in, teach me how to
correct it myself, rather than fix it for me, unless there is no way for me
to fix it).

Thanks,

Huji