[Labs-l] [Consensus needed] Adding a Tool namespace to Wikitech

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 24 19:40:07 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Bryan Davis <bd808 at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Bryan Davis <bd808 at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> We don't seem to have an on-wiki voting process for configuration
>> changes (or anything else) in the Wikitech community, so I'm going to
>> go with the mailing list and Phabricator route and see if that works.
>>
>> I posted a Phabricator task [0] to create a "Tool" namespace on
>> Wikitech that would give a clear home to documentation curated by Tool
>> maintainers and Tool users. This was marked as a duplicate of an
>> existing request [1] to create the same namespace and automatically
>> generate a page for each new service group. There seems to be
>> reasonable opposition from several people (including me) to automatic
>> page creation, but I still think the namespace makes sense. I have
>> posted a configuration patch to gerrit [2] that would create the
>> "Tool" and "Tool_talk" namespaces and add the "Tool" namespace to the
>> default search.
>>
>> It has been suggested on the review of the configuration patch that
>> implementation should wait for a strong show of support by the tool
>> maintainer community. To gauge support I have created a poll (Slowvote
>> in Phab terminology) on Phabricator [3] asking the basic question and
>> offering "Support", "Oppose" and "Neutral" as the options. It is also
>> possible to leave comments to explain your position in more detail,
>> but I'm hoping that we can gauge consensus based primarily on the
>> votes cast.
>>
>> I propose that we leave this vote open for two weeks until 2016-02-19
>> and then determine the outcome.
>>

>> [0]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T123429
>> [1]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T122865
>> [2]: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/268616/
>> [3]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/V7
>
> I closed the poll [3] a few minutes ago. The outcome was:
>
> * Support: 23
> * Oppose: 1
> * Neutral: 5
>
> Consequently I've removed my self -2 from the gerrit patch [2] and
> will attempt to get it reviewed and deployed soon. Once the new
> namespace is created I will also move pages that are currently named
> Nova Resource:Tools/Tools/* to Tool:*. Other tool pages can be moved
> on a case by case basis.

The namespace is active on wikitech now [4]. Go forth and add
documentation for your tools! It would be especially nice to see
instructions on starting and stopping job grid jobs [5] so that others
can help you out when things aren't working well for your tools.

I have also opened a phab ticket requesting that Flow be enabled for
talk pages in the Tool namespace [6]. If you have thoughts about that
please speak up.

[4]: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3APrefixIndex&namespace=116
[5]: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tool:Stashbot#Maintenance
[6]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T127792

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA