[Labs-l] [Labs-announce] sudo vulnerability in toollabs

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Mon Feb 22 14:09:32 UTC 2016

Just a quick follow-up to Marc's response...

On 2/22/16 7:43 AM, Marc-André Pelletier wrote:
> On 16-02-22 03:26 AM, Ilya Korniyko wrote:
>> Configuration is created automatically by puppet, isn't it?
In this case, puppet is not involved.  Sudo policies are stored in ldap;
they are applied more-or-less instantly after a change rather than
pending a puppet run.

>> Does it also include automated tests for this scenarios? If not - why?
>> Thorough automated tests would have eliminated such mistakes.
Patches and phab tasks are always welcome :)  We do a lot of monitoring
for tools, but most current tests are of the form "this should work;
does it?"  We have fairly few tests of the form "this should not work;
does it?"

Because writing tests (and, subsequently, sifting through false
positives) is fairly labor-intensive, it's always a judgement call when
to stop writing new ones.  That said, I agree that we would benefit from
a suite of tests for basic access controls.