[Labs-l] Instance stuck in SHUTOFF state, unable to boot

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Fri Feb 19 14:49:58 UTC 2016

Andrew --

On 2/19/16 2:13 AM, Andrew "FastLizard4" Adams wrote:

> Hello Labs folks,
>
> One of our Labs instances for the account-creation-assistance project,
> accounts-db2 (UUID 942cfe3f-8a7b-4e6f-ae5c-e5fcd5f16ed8) seems to be
> stuck in the SHUTOFF state, and attempting to reboot it yields a "Failed
> to reboot instance accounts-db2" message.  There's nothing in the
> console output that indicates why the instance is down in the first place.
When I try to reboot on the commandline,  I'm told that this instance
can't be rebooted
because it is in the 'stopped' state.  I did a 'start' on it rather than
a 'reboot'
and it has accepted that and is now up and running.

The bad news is that the 'start' command is not currently available to
non-Ops.
The good news is that my primary project right now is making a greater range
of OpenStack commands publicly available via Horizon.  So, in short, you
couldn't
have fixed this yourself today, but should be able to deal with similar
issues yourself
in a month or two.

Let me know if you have any other problems in the meantime!

-Andrew