[Labs-l] Labs-announce post from jamison.lofthouse at gmail.com requires approval

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Fri Feb 12 15:45:06 UTC 2016

jamison.lofthouse at gmail.comwrote:

 >> If all goes perfectly, Wikitech will be restored to its original
state but be slightly slower.

 > Could you explain this a bit more? Is this due to the new role data
storage backend? How much of a slowdown should we expect?

Things will be slower in large part because of limitations in the
keystone api -- in some cases where we were able to do one big ldap
query to answer a question like "what projects am I in?" we now have to
do clumsy things like ask each individual project "am I a member of
you?" which adds up to a lot of REST calls.

Most everything is cached, though, so the slow page loads should only
happen occasionally.  If you run into a case where performance is
unbearably slow, let me know and I'll see about optimizing.

-Andrew