[Labs-l] [Consensus needed] Adding a Tool namespace to Wikitech

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Fri Feb 5 17:10:34 UTC 2016

We don't seem to have an on-wiki voting process for configuration
changes (or anything else) in the Wikitech community, so I'm going to
go with the mailing list and Phabricator route and see if that works.

I posted a Phabricator task [0] to create a "Tool" namespace on
Wikitech that would give a clear home to documentation curated by Tool
maintainers and Tool users. This was marked as a duplicate of an
existing request [1] to create the same namespace and automatically
generate a page for each new service group. There seems to be
reasonable opposition from several people (including me) to automatic
page creation, but I still think the namespace makes sense. I have
posted a configuration patch to gerrit [2] that would create the
"Tool" and "Tool_talk" namespaces and add the "Tool" namespace to the
default search.

It has been suggested on the review of the configuration patch that
implementation should wait for a strong show of support by the tool
maintainer community. To gauge support I have created a poll (Slowvote
in Phab terminology) on Phabricator [3] asking the basic question and
offering "Support", "Oppose" and "Neutral" as the options. It is also
possible to leave comments to explain your position in more detail,
but I'm hoping that we can gauge consensus based primarily on the
votes cast.

I propose that we leave this vote open for two weeks until 2016-02-19
and then determine the outcome.

[0]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T123429
[1]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T122865
[2]: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/268616/
[3]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/V7

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA