[Labs-l] chmod 0000 files

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Sun Dec 4 16:27:11 UTC 2016

(anonymous) wrote:

> I have noticed a harp spike in my failure emails within the last 30 days or
> so. The pwd is /data/project/betacommand-dev/irc/logs from my primary tool
> tools.betacommand-dev. the primary undated log files are the ones that show
> up as having 0000 permissions.

> […]

All files in /data/project/betacommand-dev/irc/logs have the
permissions 0644 (-rw-r--r--).

In the back of my mind there was the memory that rsync some-
times creates files as 0000, and as rsync was used to mi-
grate the NFS volumes mid-November, that could have been a
cause, but according to
https://download.samba.org/pub/unpacked/rsync/OLDNEWS that
behaviour was changed more than 10 years ago.

Tim