[Labs-l] [NEW] Self-service git repository creation for tools

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 26 21:18:33 UTC 2016

I'm happy to announce a new service for Tool Labs developers. Tool
Labs admin console (<https://toolsadmin.wikimedia.org>) is a new
application intended to help automate parts of the Tool Labs developer
experience. There is a long roadmap of planned features [0] for Tool
Labs that this will be a part of. In this initial launch, the
application has these features:

* Associate Wikitech LDAP account, Wikimedia SUL account, and
Phabricator account.
* Create Git repositories in Differential associated with a tool.

Associating accounts is a small step towards making moving between
various Wikimedia projects easier. Today this is used to enable the
second feature.

Differential is Phabricator's git hosting and browsing interface. The
admin console uses the Phabricator API to create new git repos and
grant control of them to Phabricator accounts linked to a tool's
maintainers. Once created the maintainers can use the native
Phabricator interface to add additional users and edit other aspects
of the repo. Easy self-service git repo creation is already "a thing"
on several external sites (GitHub, Bitbucket, ...), but this is the
first time as far as I know that Wikimedia has provided such a simple
method to create a repo that is hosted on our infrastructure.

I'm pretty excited about this project and really really excited to
finally reach this first milestone of having something tangible to
share with all of you. Give it a try and file bugs [1] when you find
them and/or push a patch into gerrit [2]. Feature requests on
Phabricator are very welcome as well.

[0]: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Tool_Labs_support/Tool_Labs_vision#Project_roadmap
[1]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/profile/2134/
[2]: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/admin/projects/labs/striker

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA