[Labs-l] Out file generator is really screwy

Brad Jorsch (Anomie) bjorsch at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 4 14:59:19 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Maximilian Doerr <
maximilian.doerr at gmail.com> wrote:

> When using the grid to run jobs and directing the output to an out file,
> after about an hour the file becomes really screwy.  Bits and pieces get
> duplicated and pasted around, and the log ultimately gets scrambled about,
> which defeats the purpose of the log file.  This kind of makes me want to
> move off of the grid, if it's costing me my logs.

Are you directing the output from multiple concurrent jobs to the same
file? If so, my first guess would be that the jobs aren't atomically
appending log lines (I don't know if such atomic writes are even
supported), so the writes from different jobs wind up being interleaved
unexpectedly.