[Labs-l] IPv6?

Ryan Lane rlane32 at gmail.com
Tue May 5 09:20:48 UTC 2015

Access through a bastion via proxycommand is a much better approach than
direct access via ssh. Even considering direct access, it would likely be
better to allow direct access via VPN than to allow the world to be able to
access the ssh port of every node via IPv6.

We initially limited SSH through bastions because of IP limitations, but in
the long-run I think it was also a good choice from a security point of
view. We can mostly disable all SSH access to Labs by removing access to
the bastions.

Take a look at how AWS implements VPC to get a better understanding of how
this works in large infrastructures. Assume each VPC is a separate Labs
project, or assume different accounts are different Labs projects.