[Labs-l] IPv6?

Ryan Lane rlane32 at gmail.com
Mon May 4 23:14:29 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 5:05 AM, Petr Bena <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> It's 2015, many years after IANA's IPv4 pool was exhausted. WE STILL
> DON'T HAVE IPv6 ON LABS! Why?
>
> If we had it, every single instance could have it's own public address
> and things like http://tools.wmflabs.org/ wouldn't say "Server not
> found" if you were on IPv6 only box.

Even with IPv6, it doesn't make a ton of sense to give direct access to the
nodes. You'd still have to support the case of IPv4, but then you'd add the
complexity of having things work two different ways, which makes
troubleshooting harder. Making things go through proxies is a good approach
as a whole.

That said, it would be nice to eventually have IPv6 support in Labs for
testing IPv6 for MediaWiki.

- Ryan