[Labs-l] Building our ZIM farm @wmflabs

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 07:05:34 UTC 2015

Any news on this?

 > == Next steps ==
 >
 > We want to complete our effort and mirror the biggest Wikipedia
 > projects. Unfortunately, we have reached the limits of a traditional
 > usage of wmflabs. We need more quota and to experiment with the NFS
 > storage because an x-large instance in not able to mirror more than
 > 1.5 millions of articles at a time. How might that be made possible?

Per https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T91853#1113701 and
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T91853#1129560 , francium seems a
storage server rather than a processing server: it can't be used for
mwoffliner tasks. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T57503 is a separate
task.
	Emmanuel, I think the Labs instances are only meant to store the data
they're currently processing, while the ZIM files as such keep ending up
on http://download.kiwix.org/ + mirrors: right?
	Andrew, if so the best option IMHO is to increase the local disk quota
of (at least) one of the instances from 160 to 500 GB. Then Emmanuel can
start testing an en.wiki run and see how it goes. virt1011, currently
used by mwoffliner2, seems to afford it.
https://ganglia.wikimedia.org/latest/graph_all_periods.php?c=Virtualization%20cluster%20eqiad&h=virt1011.eqiad.wmnet&r=hour&z=default&jr=&js=&st=1427785147&v=1188.316&m=disk_free&vl=GB&ti=Disk%20Space%20Available&z=large

Nemo